Sunday, December 12, 2010

Surprise surprise!

Since me and familia moved to kampung about five years ago, I squirreled away from any social gathering held by the kampung folks, mainly because I wasn't acquainted to anybody of my age. My weekends were filled with trips to the city, inevitable shopping emergencies and just plain sleep-ins.

Today I was out of excuses. Mama brought me and Dila to a majlis khatan and cukur jambul. Baba and Abang went ahead of us, because I took too long to get ready. I thought we might witness cute, apathetic (might be they are curbing their fears) boys getting ready to be circumcised, but all I saw were happy, energetic kids running around the open hall where the event was organised, and their parents happily chatting with each other, totally ignoring the rampage that's going on.

The event started off with prayer reciting, and in five minutes, I found myself lining beside the banquet table . I guess it's normal, forgive my inexperience-ness.

While digging into my plate of lamb curry and other colourful dishes I can't make out the ingredients (but they sure tasted good), I saw the popular albino kid me and my cousins saw first time in Nek Ngah's house. He was wearing yellow baju melayu complete with ketayap. I referred him as 'Powder', after Sean Patrick Flanery's movie. I was looking at him when our eyes met (that does sound a bit pedo) and smiled at him, but he ignored and looked away. Ah, it's been awhile since last I got rejected.

While watching the kids making hullabaloo, a boy about 6, 7 year-old walked past me. I can imagine how he looked when he's older, because he's already look like one. Premature aging, first time I saw a real-life specimen. His face is not wrinkly, but the skins seems like it lost its elasticity. The skin under the eyes and the cheeks are sagging, also the skin at his hands joints. Baba later on told us he is 14 year-old boy on our way back home.

Today's occurrences made me reminisced the good old days of my practical years in university: how hospitals scare the hell out of me. It still amazes me how I was able to complete 6 months of practical without telling a single soul of my fear. Maybe because it sounded silly to me at that time, getting a cold feet of hospitals. There, I've said it.

Oh, and I'm also a Red Crescent Society member. Mind-boggling, no?

No comments: