Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Comfort Food 1: Spageti Carbonara

Why am I suddenly writing about food? Because I found several key items for making spageti carbonara while cleaning up the larger-than-life freezer in my baking kitchen.

Crab filament sticks (a healthier option is of course real seafood, or chicken/meat whatever if seafood is lethal to you)

And mozarella cheese. The name says it all, perfect italiano~

And yeah, spageti. I found a block of frozen solid in the freezer, and that kicked the pasta craving in me. The spageti is being thawed by steaming.

So, three key items (just like Blue's Clues), I started off with melting 2 tablespoons of margerine.


Throw in 2 pieces of chopped garlic. Must fend off sparky sparky Edward!


I used low heat because I'm sure to burn the garlic in the middle of taking pictures. Add in 2 tablespoons of flour to make the roux (ahem 1st french word).


Stir, stir till it becomes a paste and put in about 2 cups of milk. I made mine with evaporated milk, so I put in 1/2 cup milk + 1 1/2 cups plain water. Whatever works. Usually they do.


Pour in a little at 1st, so it won't become lumpy, or use cold milk. And down with the rest of the milk. Dump in the crab sticks and a little salt to taste . Keep stirring until it forms a thick gravy.


Turn off the heat. Put in the spageti, coating them with the gravy.



The half-finished product. I prefer to make thin slices of cheese, arrange them on the top and bake them brown. Or the cheese can be grated and mixed along with the crab sticks.

Putting cheese on top. Using a microwave to melt the cheese is okay, but it won't brown the top. So I use the oven. Set on 180 degree celcius, about 10 minutes.



Walawei looks so nice. Top picture: no top brown is seen, because I stumbled the baking pan and it went upside down into the plate. And a pair of chopsticks to gobble it down. Forks are too easy.


After scraping half of the carbonara back into the baking pan, I re-bake it plus more cheese, just for the sake of taking a picture with brown top. I have lots of time in hand anyway. Meanwhile my duty to clean the freezer is still left undone.


Err this is supposed to be a portion of 2, so don't follow my example of not sharing and watch your waistline.

Next on Comfort Food edition: Botok-botok (You: What in the world?) special for Miss julie^beth

2 comments:

aliaaroslan said...

momoe, i am trying this either tomorrow (if i'm not going to school) or the day after tomorrow. drooling!!! botok-botok rulesss

Momoe said...

haha all th best. I like it with some chilli sauce (no picture included because it will look less exotic)